Sorya’s news page
Sorya Dinner Report September 1st, 2011
September 1st, 20111. Topic: Dawanda Registry (www.dawanda.de)
· Online today
· Needs English and French translation
2. Topic: Etsy Registry (www.etsy.com)
· International online-market for handmade goods
· Sorya shop on etsy.com coming soon
3. Topic: www.rovieng.com
· Layout is ready
· Easy online-shop is included
· Our friend Fabian Rennack is going to program the page
4. Topic: Rainwater Container proposal
· Proposal to BMZ for a maximum of 225 containers is almost finished
· 3 villages in Rovieng will be supplied: Dok Por, Krang Thnung, Kandal
· If the proposal is accepted, construction will start in 2012
6. Topic: Viola’s Yard
· We have received a kindergarden concept from Mr Thoeun
· A pilot-project will start soon
· 5 months of testing are suggested by Sorya Cambodia
· a scheduled should be made for the next steps
7. Topic: Mr Sal in Germany
· He is very happy to be in Germany
· Within a week he has already made great experiences
· Since Monday, he started to join Ramses’ school in Wilhelmsburg
· Sal reported about his first experiences he had made in school
· We discussed about differences between German and Cambodian schools
8. Topic: Daniel’s researches in Cambodia
· Daniel Bultmann introduced his researches in Cambodia
· He is writing a dissertation about Khmer guerrillas after 1979
· For his dissertation he has spend months in Cambodia to interview people being involved in the civil war conflict
· Sorya is planning a lecture about his studies
· An date will be announce soon – everybody is invited to come
· For Dinner: Döner Teller by Koz Urfa and Apple Tarte by Gerhard
Report written by Mr Khan
Sorya Dinner Report July 7th, 2011
July 7th, 20111. Topic: Wrap up of the Run
- The run for Viola’s Yard was quite a success
- 6 runners were on their way at the half marathon
- The estimated sum of the donations is about 900 EUR .
2. Topic: Facebook Commercial for Rovieng Scarfs and Sorya Donation
- Mr. Khan will start to advertise on Facebook. The costs will be taken over by Mr Khan.
- Advertisements are based on text-ads, similar to google ad-words. The payment model is based on cost per click, which means for each click set by facebook user, Mr. Khan will pay about
- 0,02 EUR. The budget is easy to control in terms of flexible settings day by day.
- The ads will be a test-run in a first step to evaluate the success and if it makes sense to invest into more advertisements.
- Two initiatives will be promoted: Rovieng scarf’s and Sorya
- The objectives of Rovieng-Ads are to increase the awareness of the brand and to drive the business of the scarf’s.
- The objectives of Sorya-Ads are to increase awareness of Sorya e.V., promote the organization, win new members, and the generation of new donations.
3. Topic: Dawanda Registry (www.dawanda.de)
- Dawanda is an online shop for handcrafted goods, linked to facebook
- It offers a economic sales channel for the Rovieng scarf’s.
- Mr Khan will evaluate which sales model on this online shop will fit and which payment model could work the most efficient way.
- Lisa suggested to use in a hidden way the tags “fair trade” in terms of shopper use this in the search engine. This could increase the clicks and provide more sales.
- An added value could be the link to facebook, which could increase the awareness.
4. Topic: Viola’s Yard - New Sorya action on www.betterplace.org
- Betterplace is a partner since years. It is an international donation platform created for donors or organizations. Sorya is still a project promoted by the betterplace.og
- Nina will evaluate how to promote Viola’s Yard on betterplace.org too
- Possible action step could be to create a special event linked to an occasion like birthdays, weddings or sports events.
- An occasion or another personnel link to this project could drive the buzz to generate donations
- Nina will ask betterplace for a short report about sorya on betterplace.org and if it is appropriate to maintain the project settings.
5. Topic: „The Rovieng Story“
- Mr Khan and Nina will brainstorm about a unique story for Rovieng – like a brand story – to promote Rovieng scarf’s.
- A possible action step could be personalized edition for the scarf’s with a little background information and a portrait of the weaver.
6. Topic: Rovieng - „Der.Die-Sein Markt”
- Wrap up of the result Sorya took part in the “Der.Die-Sein Markt”
- Market takes place every Saturday until September. The members decided to join the market depending on the weather. If there were more traffic caused by special events like welcoming ships in the Hafencity, the sales could be promising.
- Two new sales channels were offered by a cooperation with Martina Glück and one of her friends to sell the scarf’s. After the next meeting with Martina Glück Mr Khan will report the contract conditions to the members.
- Mr Khan will publish timely the next market session. More members were asked to support the sale in rotation on the up-coming saturdays.
7. Topic: Rovieng - „Holly Shit Shopping“
- Discussion about taking part at the Holly Shit Shopping, a promising design market.
- Members were asked to support the markets, taking place in
- Cologne: November 27th – 28th 2011-07-06
- Hamburg: December 4th – 5th 2011-07-06
- Berlin: December 12th – 13th 2011
- Trini could offer a place to stay over in Cologne for the sales team
- Volunteers for the market in Hamburg needed
- Volunteers for the market in Berlin needed
- No final decision to take part at the market in Stuttgart.
8. Topic: Workshop Weltwärts
- Mr Khan was asked to be key note speaker at a workshop initiated by Weltwärts in Kiel in August 13th – 21st. 2011.
- Weltwärts wants to present Sorya Cambodia and the opportunities for volunteers.
- Gerhard will be one of two suggested speakers. Gerhard will inform the interested parties about Cambodia in general, facts and figures.
- We are trying to get present volunteers for the workshop.
9. Topic: Mr Sal – Trip to Europe
- A tentative schedule for Sal's visit has been decided, considering Sal's role as guest student at various schools and some excursions.
- Mr. Khan will mail these ideas and a tentative schedule directly to Sal.
- Sal is asked for his most wanted objectives, recommendations can be given by Kim Nget who experienced a similar trip last year
- In co-creation Sal will get a balanced schedule which contains for example Hamburg, Berlin, Borntosten, Wien or Luzern.
10. Topic: Discussion about Max and Carolina’s statement about Viola’s Yard
- Gerhard's paper "First Considerations" was just a collection from various Kindergarten projects in Cambodia - neither meant as a recommendation nor a concept.
- The educational orientation and target group of the kindergarten was discussed lengthy.
- The decision of the annual members meeting was endorsed again: "To look for means to establish an adequate care of the weavers' children as a first step. For this first stage the team of Sorya Cambodia should draw up an appropriate concept.
- Max and Carolina will get a previous concept developed by Cedric in the year 2009. Cedric will look for this paper and hand it over to Max and Carolina so they can rework on it.
- Meanwhile Sorya Cambodia should start a "testing phase" in existing rooms, considering that various promotions for this project “Viola’s Yard” are rolled out to generate donations.
- Concerning the statement of Max and Carolina about “Quality vs. Quantity” the participating members discussed lengthy pros and contras of a clear-cut growth strategy versus the approach to quality assurance.
- The business model of the organization depends on successful strategies to generate donations and on a consistent growth of the revenue of Rovieng. New projects like Viola’s Yard and product-innovations offer new opportunities. The group did not come to a mutual agreement.
- Wages: The adequate payment of Cambodian staff was duly considered notably in view of the rising inflation rate of Cambodia's economy. A salary review will be conducted by Mr. Khan in due time.
- For Dinner: Tagliatelle Arrabiata
- Cedrics carrot cake delivered enough energy for the long and constructive discussion
Report written by Nina Graef
Altonale - We "survived"
June 19, 2011
On the second day we bowed to the weather at noon and disassembled our open air gallery of photos and scarf’s racks before rain and storm could break down our stall. However, next year we’ll give summer another try to appear at the Altonale in the summer month of June...
Sorya Diner Report of May 5th, 2011
May 5th, 2011
• Introduction of a Sorya Dinner Report
• Report will be written in English
• The report will be sent to our members and to the Sorya staff in Cambodia
• The report will be published on our webpage and on the facebook-fan-page.
2. Topic – Presentation of the new NGO laws in Cambodia – by Gerhard
• Presentation will be sent to Sorya members and to the staff in Cambodia
3. Topic - Markets
• New scarfs have arrived
• Scarfs look very great
• Scarfs will be published soon on the sorya internetpage and on facebook
• Costumer appointments at Mr Khan’s house can be made by agreement
• Osterstraßenfest in Mai will be canceld
• Sorya takes part in the “Der.Die-Sein Markt” at Unliver-House in Hamburg Hafencity
• Market takes place every Saturday until autumn
• Sorya plans to take part 3 – 4 weekends in the summer
• More market stands are planned, also in Berlin, e.g. Harkescher Markt, Holly Shit Shopping in Hamburg and Berlin
4. Topic – New information about Volunteering
• Lisa is working on new text for the volunteer program
• Still need to work on the right expressions
• Updated recommendation list for future volunteers needs to be done – support by former volunteers and volunteers who are in Cambodia right now
5. Topic – Viola’s Yard Advertising
• Future advertising will concentrate its content on the projects
• Promoting Sorya or Cambodia is always difficult in western society
• Viola’s Yard - New text for the Sorya.org internetpage will be written by Cedric
• Promotion flyer for Viola’s yard will be in work
• Viola’s Yard researches have to be made by future volunteers
• Lisa is suggesting a direct Cambodian aspect in the promotion of Viola’s yard
6. Topic – Run Together
• Members & friends are taking part in the Hamburg Halfmarathon on July 3rd 2011.
• Trini already has 6 runners and 10 sponsors organized
• Mr Khan has none
• Cedric, Gerhard and Lisa agreed to sponsor Mr Khan’s run
• more Runners and Sponsors are needed
• Trini is preparing a promotional text for the donation run
• a little flyer will be created
7. Topic – Next Thunvisitor / Mr Sal in Germany / first planning
• Still gathering information for Mr Sal’s visit in summer
• We will discuss the organization of Mr Sal’s visit in Germany @ next Sorya Dinner July 7th 2011
Trini made Spargel crème soupe with bread
Report written by Mr Khan
Two schools of Sorya now - and there is no end of learning
March 18, 2011“This is very huge building ... finally it is standing right in front of us,” marvels Sim Thoeun, Head of Sorya Cambodia, with amazement and some pride standing in front of Sorya’s new school building.
The Opening Ceremony began with prayers from the monks according to tradition. More than 250 visitors came at Sorya Cambodia’s invitation - representatives from the authorities of Takeo Province, Samrong District and Rovieng Commune as well as from the German Embassy and our students and their families, and last but not least, delegates of the main sponsor, Weitblick. After delivery of the common addresses the symbolic Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony - the final cuts by Andy Pletziger of Weitblick and Sim Thoeun – ended the formal inauguration of the Malo Chan School in Tropang Trea. Afterwards our guests celebrated the opening event with our team having good talks, food, music and dance until dark.
That’s what the whole team of Sorya Cambodia had worked hard for, besides their trying jobs as teachers and managing Sorya's further activities – our team gave a matchless and wonderful event!
The village of Tropang Trea is located in the Rovieng Commune, approximately 65 km south of Phnom Penh, close to National Road No. 2. The new school is not far apart from our first school, the Alysha Chan-School, in Tropang Sdock, which is located 5 km east of National Road No. 2 close to Phnom Chiso. So our teachers and volunteers are able to allot their time for lessons between both locations. Today, we are counting proudly more than 500 registered students at both sites.
However, we are still in need of proper equipment for education at our new school, books for the library, computers for the scheduled computer-classes, a beamer for professional teaching and much more... That is why we still need your support. Thanks for any contribution, even the smallest amount will be a help!
Sim Thoeun gives thanks of Sorya Cambodia to all of you: “In my opinion the school is an honourable and necessary element to educate our young generation as a whole. It is an important part of development. We reach this great achievement in close cooperation with our partners. Thank you for your great support! We at Sorya Cambodia commit ourselves to excellence and to fulfill our tasks perfectly.”
Keep checking back to see more updates and comments via facebook’s social plug-in on our website. Let us inspire you!
Watch the video “MCS - Sorya School in Tropang Tree” www.youtube.com/watch
Earth Breaking Ceremony started construction of new school
August 12th, 2010
Sorya at Altonale - in the cold of a summer
June 22nd, 2010
Summer, in June at the street festival Altonale? ...No way in Hamburg! But what of it, our merchandise matched the weather perfectly: At 12 degrees Celsius we sold our warming silk scarves - in particular the soon famous Rovieng label - and kramas rapidly!
FIFA WORLD CUP 2010 - BET&WIN - FOR YOU AND FOR A NEW SCHOOL
08. Juni 2010
here we go again. It´s time for the soccer world cup 2010 in South Africa. We are looking forward to this huge event and a joyful time with you guys. Together we can have fun and do good deeds at the same time.
Kicktipp.de and Sorya make this win-win situation possible!
Go and register on kicktipp.de!
After logging in you can start betting right away and have fun. It can´t be easier! You can participate with only 10 € / 10 $ / 10 £. From this amount 5€ will be spent for the construction of our new school in Tropang Tree and the other 5€ go into the price money pool, which will be divided among the top 3 bettors:
1st winner: 4/7th of the pool
2nd winnder: 2/7th of the pool
3rd winneer: 1/7th of the pool.
For further information about our new school project, which is going to be realised in cooperation with the student initiative “Weitblick”, please go and visit our newspage.
You can directly and easily transfer the participation fee to our donation account.
Designated use: Football Wordcup 2010
Bank: Hamburger Sparkasse
IBAN DE74 2005 0550 1022 2188 44
SWIFT (BIC) HASPDEHH
We are looking forward to an exciting and fun time with you, your friends and your family.
Thanks for participating and good luck to everyone!
Launching a New School in Tropang Tree
June 6th, 2010In cooperation with Weitblick (www.weitblicker.org) – a students’ initiative promoting universal fair access to education – Sorya is poised to build a new school in Tropang Tree. The building will house three classrooms. Right there we will expand our tutorial programs that have been established in Tropang Sdock so successfully. Some room will be provided on the second floor to accommodate our employees and coming volunteers. A roof deck will complete the building allowing those vital and restful moments...
According to current prices the building will be priced at US-$ 38,000. Two thirds of the expenses (almost 20,000 Euro) will come from Weitblick e.V. Münster & Hamburg. Sorya will contribute one third of the expenses (almost 10,000 Euro). However, we at Sorya are still lacking 5,000 Euro for funding the new school...
Silk Factory and Classroom waiting for inauguration
May 8th, 2010
At a record time of four months we have been building our Silk Factory and class room. The interiors of the building are almost completed now. The school desks are ready for the students ... and final efforts had been taken for cleaning the premises ...
Osterstraße Street Festival
April 24-25, 2010 in Hamburg
“What are your activities in Cambodia?” “I like to support you in Cambodia, I’m working in the field to improve farming methods for rice.” “Does our money for the scarfs really reach the people in Cambodia?” Blue sky, bright sunshine and the obligatory winds in Hamburg, our activities at the Osterstraßen-Fest on April 24 - 25th were a great success. We made lots of contacts and may have won the one or the other interested party for Sorya. Our “sales team” of Li-Ly, Trini, Hi-Khan and Gerhard did a great job, so that we even ran out of stock for some clothings. On the second day a sudden gust of wind finished our tent. But we invented the “pavement-gallery”: we took Hi-Khan’s photos from the demolished “tent gallery” and simply put them on the pavement. This maverick “pavement-gallery” with Hi-Khan as “manager of the exhibition” became an unexpected success and attracted more onlookers than before! However, this may become our routine layout in the future … See you at the next event, the Altonale, on June, 18 – 20, 2010 in Hamburg - as we say in Germany: “Auf Wiedersehen”!
Miles'n much more – Sorya's Chrismas Campaign
10. December 2007
Then collect or contribute miles for any one item of our wish list. One mile is equivalent to one Euro, so you don’t have to finance one whole article alone. Remit your collected miles to the bank account and mention which article you want to support.
SPENDENKONTO SORYA e.V.
You’ll receive weekly information about the progress of the campaign – together we are able to achieve a lot – each mile counts! Perhaps we can even cover the whole distance of 8000 miles to Cambodia.
Enjoy Christmas time!
Language lessons without a dictionary are like Christmas without candle light. Looking up in a dictionary means brightening up your mind. We want to fill the libraries of some public schools so that all their students will be able to use these resources for their research. One book needs five miles. It’s our aim to provide five public schools and the Alysha Chan School with many books for growing libraries.
If Santa Claus came to Cambodia he wouldn’t ride on a sleigh with jingle bells - probably he would arrive bell ringing on a bike. Definitely mobility is important, especially when you live in a village and have to go to the market or school a distance away. That’s not yet at all possible for everybody and that’s what we’d like to change it. We need these bicycles in order to lend them to students who haven’t got one. For a single small charge* the bicycles may be used until school is finished. Then they’ll find a new holder.
40 miles for one bicycle!
(* A charge is necessary so that the bike is valued more by the holder and will be handled with special care.)
Laptops are not only a well-liked present under a German Christmas tree. Menghout, a farmer’s son from Tropeang Sdock, very engaged in studying, has the dream to become a computer technician. Therefore, first of all, he and other interested students need the necessary training. Sorya will provide the first technical instructions at the Alysha Chan
School. Five laptops are needed. If you want to help Sorya – it’s 500 miles per laptop.
Benjamin Pruefer’s book: “Wherever you go”
And here comes the present that could also lie under your Christmas tree: You can order the book “Wherever you go”, written by Sorya-member Benjamin Pruefer, for the regular price of EUR 16.90 (plus EUR 2 for sending). The little, big difference – our books are hand-signed by Ben and Srey Keo. And the best: 40% of the takings are miles for Sorya. That way you not only have the perfect Christmas present for your friends, family and relatives, you also support our friends in Cambodia. For this chance we want to express our thanks to Ben and his publisher! It’s 17 miles for each hand-signed book. Note: You might not get your book right away because we will gather all orders and hand them to the publisher who will send them as soon as possible.
Of course you can also support our ongoing projects with miles. How about a cow for your daughter, your grandma or a good friend – then the cow will get their name! And we will send you wonderful pictures with your cow in its new family. You can find information about the Project Muh on our website under the heading Mission Muh. In case you are interested in collecting miles for that project send an e-mail to us. We’ll then send you the newest information from Cambodia on that subject.
The Rainwater Project moves on – maybe, around Christmas, with a stopover in the public schools of Rovieng Commune in which Tropeang Sdock is just one village. Three Elementary and two High Schools should get rainwater containers. Free drinking water for students in the heat of Cambodia surely will be everybody’s pleasure. 160 miles are needed for one rainwater container.
Just in case you want to become champion of miles – for a silk manufacture we still need miles and miles and more miles ….. . Best wishes and Merry Christmas!
Build Bright University
8th Oktober 2007
Frankfurt is pleased, Lausitz smiles: Sorya on Brandenburg’s breakfast tables
16. August 2006Commitment is always worthwhile – and sometimes it even gets you in a newspaper! The German Press Agency (dpa) wrote a story about our outpost Frankfurt (Oder) which was printed in the Märkischen Oderzeitung and the Lausitzer Rundschau. Want to join in? people(at)sorya.org
„Crying is now permitted“
02th July 2006Der Spiegel / Michael Lenz, Phnom Penh
Crying wasn’t permitted in the Khmer Rouge torture camps. By 1979 two million people had died under their rule. Now, 27 years later, court procedings are starting to finally try leaders of the Khmer Rouge Regime who are held responsible for the genocide.
02th July 2006It is official! From now on PREAH ONG e.V. is called Sorya e.V. After three months
our folder finally reached the top of the enormous pile at the district court in Hamburg. The reason for taking so long is the lack of staff in the register of associations Hamburg. Well, let’s just be happy about our joint appearance as “shining sun”.
To all the computer frustrated people
13th January 2006
Maybe we should take them as an example when we are sitting in a Internet café fighting again with one of the wonderful Phnom Penh computers – just look at this photo and just smile!
Cow Lottery in Tropangsdock
19th December 2005
Six of twenty families without their own cow are now taking care of one. They will look after it until it gives birth to a calf that the caretaking family will keep. The mother cow is then going to be passed on to the next family without own cow. It was a beautiful day with happy faces, a contented committee and a good start for our cow project.